Domestic Violence Prevention & Education in Faith-Based Communities
National Resource Center on Domestic Violence
* If you would like to suggest an addition to this list, please use our online contact form.
Note: The following list was developed by the National Resource Center on Domestic Violence (NRCDV) to serve as a resource for domestic violence advocates and others concerned about safety and justice for women and their children. VAWnet provides these resources as a source of information that you can evaluate on your terms and for your own needs, and inclusion on this list does not constitute an endorsement by the NRCDV.
The articles listed here have a specific focus on domestic violence prevention strategies and/or public education information for communites of diverse faiths.
A Commentary on Religious Issues in Family Violence by Rev. Marie M. Fortune from the FaithTrust Institute
Engaging Religious, Spiritual, and Faith-Based Groups and Organizations - Chapter 12 from the Toolkit To End Violence Against Women by the National Advisory Council on Violence Against Women (November 2001)
Faith-based Communities [PDF] by Rev. Dr. Marie M. Fortune of the FaithTrust Institute - Case study #5 of the Family Violence Prevention Fund's 2003 Online Discussion Series: "Building Partnerships to End Men's Violence"
Lifeline: the Newsletter of the Support Network for Battered Women (19-2, Winter 1999) includes:
- "Faith Communities Address Domestic Violence: Power to Change Conference" by David S. Lee, MPH, Director of Community Education, Support Network for Battered Women
- "Working With Faith Communities: Executive Director’s Comments" by Lisa Breen, LCSW, Executive Director, Support Network for Battered Women
- "One Congregation’s Look at Domestic Violence" by Sheila Henriquez
- "Presbyterian Statement on Domestic Violence"
- "Bishop Makes Apology for Catholic Church"
The brochures listed here may serve as a public education tool for diverse faith communities.
The bulletin inserts listed here may serve as an appropriate public education tool for diverse faith communities.
The articles listed here have a specific focus on domestic violence prevention strategies and/or public education information for communites of Christian faith.
11 suggestions for overcoming violence: specific ideas for congregational involvement by Rev. J. Bennett Guess from the United Church of Christ
Violence in the Family - A Faith Perspective by the Family Refuge Center
When I Call for Help:
A Pastoral Response to Domestic
Violence Against Women | Cuando Pido Ayuda:
Una Respuesta Pastoral a la Violencia Doméstica Contra la Mujer Tenth Anniversary Edition: A Statement of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops
The brochures listed here may serve as a public education tool for Christian faith communities.
The sermons and worship materials listed here focus on issues related to domestic violence and are targeted for congregations of Christian faith.
Domestic Violence from the Mennonite Central Committee includes:
- December 2003 - Gathering, Prayer of Remembrance and Intercession, Prayer of Dedication
- November 2003 - Sharing, Prayers
- October 2003 - Reading, Call To Worship, Prayer, Worship service outline
- September 2003 - Call To Worship, Readers Theatre, Prayers, Scripture Readings
The articles listed here have a specific focus on domestic violence prevention strategies and/or public education information for communites of Islamic faith.
Twelve Tips for Imams in the West for Dealing with Domestic Violence by Soundvision from ZAWAJ.com
The bulletin inserts listed here may serve as an appropriate public education tool for Jewish faith communities.
The sermons and ceremonies listed here focus on issues related to domestic violence and are targeted for congregations of Jewish faith.
"Sukkat Shalom: A Healing for Battered Women and their Allies" Blessing & Purple Ribbon Ceremony from Shalom Bayit
The campaigns listed here focus on issues related to domestic violence and are targeted for communities of Jewish faith.
Project Ohr — Illuminating Relationship Abuse in the Jewish Community campaign by Jewish Women International includes materials:
- General Brochure [PDF] | [PDF-Russian]
- Teen Brochure [PDF]
- General Palm Card [PDF] | [PDF-Russian]
- Teen Palm Card [PDF]
- Project Sticker/Print Design [PDF]
The resources listed on this page are not comprehensive and/or all-inclusive. Each link above will open in a new browser window - NRCDV is not responsible for the content and/or viewpoints expressed on web sites external to VAWnet.